Today we decorated the shop for Christmas; you’ll have to pop by and see our lovely window display. While planning our decorating we were discussing our favourite Christmas films and songs and it makes quite a list! So especially for Amy at Turn to the Music, and for everyone else who loves Christmas as much as we do, here are our lists:
Favourite Films and TV Specials
- It’s A Wonderful Life, the old classic!
- Box of Delights, a TV series from the early ’90s.
- Carols from Kings, the famous choir from King’s College, Cambridge.
- Prancer, in which a little girl tries to find the lost reindeer.
- The Muppets Christmas Carol
- Scrooged, with Bill Murray.
- Scrooge (any version will do!)
- Father Ted’s Christmas Special, in which Mrs Doyle gets a new tea-making machine.
- The Vicar of Dibley
- Home Alone 1
- Groundhog Day (well it has snow..!)
- Lark Rise to Candleford
- Gavin and Stacey Christmas special
- Die Hard 1 and 2 (well the 2nd one does have snow!!)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- The Royle Family Christmas Special
- The Snowman, also The Bear, a lovely animation by the same creators
This year, we’re also looking forward to the Downton Abbey and Dr. Who specials.
This Christmas season, for the first time ever, Laura is going to bake a Christmas cake, a light fruit one with icing on top. This is no small feat as Laura isn’t particularly interested in baking, but she felt it was time to step up and face the challenge. Nobody else in her family is making a cake this year, so no pressure! But if it’s a flop, there’ll be no cake this Christmas!!
Gemma, on the other hand, makes two puddings and a cake every year, thereby putting Laura to shame!! This year she also hopes to make gingerbread men, although by the time the puddings and cake are done, there’s a good chance she’ll have enough of the baking.
Anyway, to get ye all in the Christmas mood, here’s a nice festive video for you (see below). This is one of our favourite oldies, by Kay Starr.